Three blasts hit the city of Maiduguri in northeast Nigeria on Tuesday, October 14, killing at least seven people, locals and the Red Cross said.
The “huge explosions” happened in the Ajilari Cross area of the city, the AFP reports. The area has been targeted by similar attacks twice in the last month, including on September 20 when at least 117 were killed.
The previous attacks were blamed on Boko Haram who used suicide bombers and improvised explosive devices.
“Seven dead bodies have been evacuated from the scene of the blasts,” said a Red Cross official.
It was not immediately clear what caused the latest blasts, which happened in quick succession from 8:10 pm, said Bashir Mohammed, whose house is near the scene.
“We are all confused and people are running helter-skelter,” he said.
Sheriff Ahmad, a cleric in the area, said: “Many people have been killed. I don’t know how many and I don’t think anyone can tell you now.” Ahmad said he has seen body parts on his house.
Hafsat Sani, a nurse at the nearby Umaru Shehu Hospital, said: “There are many houses around the area and the blasts have affected many of them.”
The hospital quickly began receiving the injured while police, soldiers, the Red Cross and officials from Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) were mobilised, he said.
The police and military haven’t made any public announcements yet. Details remain sketchy as Maiduguri is subject to a night-time curfew.
On October 1, at least 10 people were killed and 39 injured when four suicide bombers blew themselves up in a wave of attacks in Ajilari Cross, which is near Maidugiri airport and a military base. At least two bombs were strapped to teenage girls.
The September 20 attack targeted a mosque and killed football fans watching a televised match as well as bystanders.
Follow us on Twitter at @Riverinenews
Copyright 2014 Riverine News.
Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to http://riverinenews.com/ and other relevant sources.