After a busy weekend of Premier League action all eyes return to the transfer window and we’re here all day to bring you all the latest news and done deals
Just two weeks of the transfer window remain, so what do managers across the country need to do to ensure they can finish the season on a high?
Who needs a defender to shore up at the back? Who is lacking goals? Do Premier League leaders Arsenal need anybody?
In today’s papers, Manchester United have been linked with a long-term Arsenal target, the Gunners have another midfielder in their sights, while Liverpool have received a boost in their chase for a World Cup winner.
Read our round-up of all of Monday’s gossip from the back pages here and then stay tuned for all the breaking news as it happens.
Keep track of all of January’s completed Premier League deals here.
KEY EVENTS SO FAR
Swans confirm Guidolin appointment
Swansea have confirmed ex-Udinese boss Francesco Guidolin as their head coach.
The 60-year-old Italian will work alongside interim manager Alan Curtis.
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins said:
We are very pleased with the appointment. Although we recently appointed Alan Curtis as manager until the end of the campaign, he was aware and comfortable with the fact that we were still looking to bring someone in to assist if we found the right person.
We believe we have found that person in Francesco. He has an excellent record, especially with Udinese over the last few years. He created an Udinese side from a relatively small budget – compared to the rest of the league – that competed with the big teams in Serie A.
He instilled a belief and motivation to compete and beat the best Italy had to offer. It is similar to what this football club is trying to do in the Premier League.
He also has a wealth of knowledge of players throughout Europe which will be a big boost on our recruitment side; something we have been reviewing in a lot more depth over the last few months.
When the need arose to look for a new manager or head coach, those characteristics stood out from a number of other potential candidates, together with the enthusiasm he has shown to come in and help us turn our season around and retain our Premier League status.’’
Fleetwood fail with Pierre bid
League One Fleetwood have today had a bid rejected for Wycombe defender Aaron Pierre.
The young centre-back,22, has helped League Two Wanderers mount successive promotion bids.
And he impressed recently in the FA Cup third round in their 1-1 draw with Premier League Aston Villa.MirrorSport understands a formal approach was made by Fleetwood offering around £100,000.
But Wycombe are holding out for at least £350,000 for the defender, who has 18 months left on his contract.And Pierre is said to be focused on playing for Wycombe tomorrow in their replay at Villa.
Barcelona to bid for Stones?
Barcelona are eyeing a move for Everton centre-back John Stones, according to Spanish football expert Guillem Balague.
The former Barnsley youngster was top target for Premier League champions Chelsea in the summer, but the Toffees refused to sell.
However, European giants Barcelona could test Everton’s resolve with an offer for Stones this summer.
Ameobi to leave Bolton
Shola Ameobi will leave Bolton this week because the cash-strapped Championship club cannot afford to offer him a new deal.
The former Newcastle frontman arrived on a short-term contract in October and has scored once in eight games for the struggling Trotters.
However, his days at the Macron are numbered, with young talents Zach Clough and Josh Vela also likely to be sold this month.
Bolton No2 Steve Walford said: “If you lose players, you lose players. It’s difficult, but you have to get on with your job.
“We accept that this is the situation we’re in at the moment.”
Manchester United youngster set for Preston switch
Preston North End boss Simon Grayson is expecting to complete the signing of Liam Grimshaw from Manchester United today, after the deal had stalled.
The midfielder’s move was slowed by issues with his medical, but is now set to become the fifth incoming player of the window at Deepdale.
Grayson said: “It is not far away now.
“We had a couple of things which were highlighted in his medical.
“I would think he will sign today and the issue we have got will probably get resolved this week sometime.”
Spurs winger’s loan spell at Rangers cut short
Rangers have sent on-loan winger Nathan Oduwa back to Tottenham following an underwhelming six-month stint at Ibrox.
The 19-year-old was signed alongside fellow White Hart Lane youngster Dominic Ball in the summer on an agreement that lasted until the end of the summer.
He made a flamboyant start to his time with the Light Blues when he performed an acrobatic ‘rainbow flick’ on his debut at Alloa.
But he failed to hit the heights of some of Mark Warburton’s other summer signings and made just seven starts from 15 appearances, scoring his only goal for Gers in a 4-0 win over Dumbarton at the start of last month.
In a brief statement, the Ibrox outfit confirmed the England Under-20 international’s early departure, saying: “Nathan Oduwa’s loan spell at the club has now ended and he has returned to Tottenham Hotspur.”
Morata going nowhere
Juventus insist that striker Alvaro Morata is going nowhere.
Reports have linked the Spanish forward with a return to his former club Real Madrid, but Juve sporting director Giuseppe Marotta says that there are no plans to let him go.
“As far as we are concerned, there is no intention to start a negotiation with Real or with another club,” he told Mediaset Premium.
There are rumours that a buyback clause was inserted in the deal that took the striker to Juventus in 2014.
Klopp looking to speed up summer transfer?
To Liverpool next, where Jurgen Klopp wants to fast-track the signing of Anderlcecht’s Dennis Praet.
The Reds had originally planned to bring in the attacking midfielder in the summer, but Klopp doesn’t want to wait as he looks to shake up his hot-and-cold side in the current transfer window, report Tuttosport.
Praet was voted the Jupiler League’s best young player a year ago and has won one cap for the Belgian national side.
Up in Newcastle…
An update here from the Chronicle’s Lee Ryder, who reports that Florian Thauvin is still clinging on to his Newcastle career.
The £12million flop has failed to settle at St James’ since his summer move and theMagpies look set to admit defeat and loan him back to France this month.
Marseille are said to be keen on him.
Tello closes in on Italian job
Cristian Tello – a man linked with the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal for many a year now – looks set for a move to Italy.
The Barcelona man is currently on a two-year loan deal at Porto which will end this summer, but Mundo Deportivo report that Fiorentina suits are in Barcelona to thrash out a deal for the 24-year-old.
Jordan Rhodes in demand
Blackburn Rovers striker Jordan Rhodes’ future as often been up for debate in transfer windows gone past, and this year is no different.
According to Sky Sports News, two Championship sides are in for the Scottish international.
One is believed to be Sheffield Wednesday, the other remains a mystery.
Rovers – who saw a transfer embargo lifted in December – value Rhodes at £12million.
Newcastle are preparing to up their bid for Tottenham winger Andros Townsend.
The Evening Standard report that Spurs made it clear that they would reject an incoming £10.5million offer, as they look for a fee closer to their £14million valuation of the player.
The England winger is keen to move after being frozen out by Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino, with the 24-year-old hoping to make Roy Hodgson’s Euro 2016 squad.
Bolton survive winding up order… for now
Bolton Wanderers have been granted a stay of execution after being told they will avoid an immediate winding-up order.
The taxman and other creditors had taken Bolton to the High Court in a bid to force the crisis-hit Championship to pay off some of their debts.
Bolton would have been forced to go into voluntary administration if the case had gone against them, triggering a 12-point deduction would have condemned them to League One next season.
Instead the High Court have told Bolton they have until February 22 to either seal a deal with new buyers for the club or raise the necessary funds through the sale of players and other assets.
Lens wants to stay at Sunderland
We earlier brought you news that Jeremain Lens could be heading to Roma, with Sunderland in negotiations with the Serie A side.
Well, the man himself has had his say.
And it sounds awfully like he wants to stay.
“I never spoke about leaving. It’s the media and all the things around me. We will see what happens. I’m a Sunderland player and I’m focused on Sunderland.
“I’m happy that I’m playing, but I wasn’t with the result at Spurs. Let’s hope I’m playing in the next game and we can get a good result.”
MLS starlet set for Bundesliga
MLS are in danger of losing their the United States’ star prospect to the Bundesliga.
Jordan Morris, the US international (7caps, one goal) still at college, announced his decision to forego his senior year at Stanford to turn pro last month.
The striker, around whom his country’s Olympic football plans for 2016 are being built, had been expected to sign a $400k-a-year deal with hometown club Seattle Sounders – where his father works as a doctor.
But Morris has spent the last week training with Werder Bremen during their winter break in Turkey, as he assesses his European options, backed by US boss JurgenBremen are confident of completing a deal to take Morris to the Weserstadion, wrecking MLS’ hopes for its collegiate golden boy.
Speaking about Morris and another trialist, Hungarian midfielder Laszlo Kleinheisler, a Bremen spokesman said: “They have confirmed in training camp, what we have seen of them in advance. “They fit into the scheme. The two will do us good.”
Sunderland knocked back in Ayew bid
Sunderland have been knocked back in their bid for Swansea striker Andre Ayew.
Sky are reporting that the Black Cats have made a £10million offer as they look to convince the Ghana international to swap one relegation battle for another.
Alas, they will have make a new bid for Ayew if they are to land him, as the Swans have rejected the original offer. Big Sam is said be be considering a fresh move for the 26-year-old.
Scott Dann reckons Emmanuel Adebayor would be a hit at Palace
Emmanuel Adebayor has been linked with a move to Crystal Palace during the January window and Eagle defender Scott Dann believes the former Arsenal and Spurs striker would be a hit at Selhurst Park.
“He is a quality striker and I am sure if he does come to the club he will do a good job,” Dann told the Croydon Advertiser.
“I am sure whoever comes into the club, whether it is Adebayor or somebody else, in this squad they will always fit in.
“I have been in other changing rooms and this is a strong changing room.
“I know there has been stuff said about him in the past but I am sure he is a good lad. And if he does come to the club he will do a good job.”
Great Dane set for Wolves
Wolves are set to land Ajax captain Nicolai Boilesen in a cut-price £300k deal.
The Danish international, 23, is due at the club’s training ground today for a medical.
Boilesen hasn’t played for Ajax at all this season after rejecting a new deal in Amsterdam last summer.
Ajax boss Frank de Boer has since decided to go without the left back, who had been eyeing a Premier League move six months ago.
Now Wolves have swooped to bring him to England, albeit in the second tier.
Another incoming at Norwich?
Steven Naismith may have company in his Norwich medical today, as the Canaries are working on a deal to bring in Wolfsburg defender Timm Klose.
A reported fee of €10million has been agreed between the two clubs and the German side sound pretty sure that the Swiss international will soon make the switch.
“Everything went according to plan, so we will work together with Norwich,” said Wolfsburg sporting director Klose Allofs.
“Timm Klose has reached an agreement with them as well. The only thing missing right now is the medical.
“Timm was in shape, when he left us. Therefore it is very likely that everything will go off without a hitch.”
Blue Monday bites in the Football League
“How does it feel, to treat me like you do?”
That’s right, it’s Blue Monday today and managerial duo Ian Hendon and Mark Robins will be taking New Order’s words to heart as they’ve both lost their jobs this morning.
Leyton Orient boss Hendon has been relieved of his duties following a run of four wins in 21 league games with the O’s in 11th place in League Two, while Robins was given his P45 after being hammered 5-0 by Blackpool at the weekend.
Leicester agree fee for Ghana midfieler
Leicester could bring a new face in this week as they close in on the signing of FC Copenhagen midfielder Daniel Amartey.
The Danish club say thy have accepted a bid for the £5million-rated Ghana international, with the 21-year-old set to hold talks over personal terms and undergo a medical with the high-flying Foxes.
If all goes to plan – and he is able to secure a work permit – he could be unveiled later this week.
Alex Teixeira “very happy” at Chelsea interest
Chelsea target Alex Teixeira has admitted that he is “very happy” at the Blues’ interest in him.
The Premier League champions have been linked with a £30million swoop for the Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder, who has netted 26 times this season.
Talking to O Globo, the Brazilian said: Chelsea? I’m very happy that they’re interested. On my part, I do everything to continue improving.”
Arsenal swoop for Leicester scout
Arsenal have raided Premier League title rivals Leicester City for their head of technical scouting Ben Wrigglesworth.
The highly-rated scout is credited with helping the Foxes lure Riyad Mahrez and N’Golo Kante to the King Power Stadium.
Mahrez in particular has been a key part of Leicester’s unlikely title challenge, scoring 13 times in 21 top-flight appearances so far this term.
The Algerian has also added eight assists, combining with England striker Jamie Vardy in spearheading City’s season.
Leicester sit level on points with the Gunners at the top of the table with 16 games remaining this campaign.
Roma contact Sunderland over lens
Jeremain Lens’ Sunderland future is very much in doubt following his well-publicised differences with Sam Allardyce and he could now have a Roma-shaped escape route.
The Serie A side are in talks with the Dutch international, according to Sky in Italy, who believe that Lens will make the move if Gervinho is to leave the Stadio Olimpico.
Despite his spat with Big Sam, Lens has started Sunderland’s last two Premier League games.
Jerome Sinclair ‘to leave Liverpool’
Promising Liverpool striker Jerome Sinclair will leave the club in the summer when his contract expires, report the BBC.
The 19-year-old was offered a new deal at the club, but it is understood he wants to explore the possibility of a move to Spain.
Sinclair came off the bench in a League Cup game against West Brom in 2012 to become Liverpool’s youngest ever player, aged just 16 years and six days.
He was handed his first Liverpool start in the FA Cup tie at Exeter earlier this month and netted the opener in the 2-2 draw.
Judging by the caption on this Instagram post, he would appear eager to get playing.
“About time!” he wrote.
Arsenal abandon Kokorin interest
Arsenal have reportedly ended their interest in Dynamo Moscow forward Aleksandr Kokorin.
The Russia international is expected to jump ship soon and Arsenal had been linked with the 24-year-old.
But according to Dynamo’s sporting director Konstantin Sarsania, the Gunners have abandoned their interest.
“I don’t know where Kokorin will continue his career,” Sarsania told Sport Ekspress. “There was interest on the part of Arsenal, but now there is not.”
Super Mario to West Ham?
West Ham are considering a move for Liverpool’s livewire striker Marion Balotelli, according to Don Balon.
The Italian striker is currently on loan at AC Milan, where he has just returned to the first-team, after recovering from injury to play the final three minutes of the 2-0 win against Fiorentina yesterday.
In other Hammers news, David Gold has suggested that Charlie Austin is on rather large wages at Southampton, after being questioned as to why he didn’t move for the England striker….
Zabaleta going nowhere
Pablo Zabaleta has reassured Manchester City fans that he will not be leaving the club this month.
The defender has been linked with a move to Inter Milan, where his former City boss Roberto Mancini is in charge, but he wants to remain at the Etihad.
“At the end of this season I will have one more year left on my contract,” he said.
“Normally the end of this season will be the time to decide what we will do.
“As a player I think I still have two or three years left to play at the top level, but in football things change quickly.
“I am enjoying myself at this great club, and at the end of this season we will have a conversation.
“I want to finish the season here and am not thinking of going anywhere in January.”
Debuchy is not a happy camper
The France full-back is set to leave this January with Aston Villa and Bayer Leverkusen among the interested clubs.
The £12m signing from Newcastle has made only two Premier League appearances this season – the last on November 8.
Asked by L’Equipe if he regretted not leaving last summer, Debuchy said: “Yes, clearly I have lost six months.
“I would have preferred to have left last summer but the coach told me I would have my chance. It was not the case.”
Blow for Manchester City
Manchester City were last week linked with a move for bright young Borussia Dortmund thing Julian Weigl, who also happens to be one of Pep Guardiola’s favourite players.
But this move has been ruled out by the man himself.
“I’m really not going to leave Borussia,” Weigl told Bild.
“This is not an issue for me. I can only emphasis that until 2019 I am under contract at BVB and still have some time,”
The 20-year-old has become a key player in Dortmund’s side since joining from 1860 Munich in the summer.
Naismith undergoing Norwich medical
Everton striker Steven Naismith is at Premier League rivals Norwich today for a medical ahead of a £8.5millionScottish international forward,29, is moving to Carrow Road after the Canaries stepped up their interest after a move for France U21 forward Sebastien Haller collapsed last week despite the striker travelling to the Norfolk club for talks on Thursday.
If all goes well, then the Scot could complete his move today.
And it could be a busy day for the Toffees, as Leeds United right-back Sam Byram is currently mulling over a move to Merseyside after the two clubs agreed a deal.
Luis Suarez wasn’t Barca’s first choice signing
Barcelona only signed Luis Suarez because they failed to sign their first choice Premier League striker.
Former sporting director at the Nou Camp, Andoni Zubizarreta, revealed the Catalan giants had actually wanted to sign Sergio Aguero from Manchester City — but failed in their attempt.
Barca then focussed on bringing Suarez to the club, and settled on a deal worth £75million with Liverpool.
“We had a few options. Our first choice was not Suarez — he knows this,” said Zubizarreta.
Copyright 2014 Riverine News.
Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to http://riverinenews.com/ and other relevant sources.